Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break Outing

Yesterday I begged my spouse to stay home and spend the day with us, but he went to work anyway citing some meeting at 12:30 he had to be to. Excuses, I thought. It was one of those days that all week the weatherman had said would be rainy and cold yet it dawned, bright, clear and sunny - promising to be warm - and I was doomed to be stuck home with a 13yr old crabby teenager and a 3 yr old *busy* boy who often self-proclaims to be "destroy-boy" or a bad jedi knight! I was in for it!


Then about 2:00 he waltzes in the door saying, "Let's go to a lighthouse on a short 2 mile easy hike!" I'm less than enthusiastic, the teenager wants to go golfing and the 3 yr old just wants attention - obviously I'm working on his scrapbook and don't want to be bothered.

Turns out I get what I want in the end -a family outing for Spring Break - even if it is only for a few hours as opposed to his friends in St. Thomas or my friends sharing a beach house in SC. So after a 40 min prep period and an hour and a half in the car during which Bug napped - Thank Heavens! - we arrived.

We really did enjoy the day - little to no yelling, lots of fresh air, plenty of solitude, lots of bonding. The lighthouse at Turkey Point was built for $4000 or so dollars in 1833 and its last keeper was a 65 yr old woman. It is on a 100 ft cliff above the Chesapeake and stands 30 ft tall. Not real impressive, but it has a lovely view. We all enjoyed the clam shells and rocks on the shore along part of the trail and the BBQ picnic planned by my enthusiastic and well-trained scoutmaster husband was delicious and nothing was forgotten! While we watched the fire, the boys played very well together (one of Jar's gifts) at a large recycled tire playground 50 ft away. The sunset on the nearby beach was breathtaking - I haven't taken the time or been at such a nice spot to enjoy one for such a long time. We closed down the park- the Ranger escorted us out. On the way we caught an awesome sight - the full moon rise. Awesome because at the horizon it was a deep red and full like a large dinner plate which lightened as it rose higher in the sky. By the time we got home it was just a pretty, clear white moon. The picture doesn't do it justice - but I tried.


Thanks for the time honey.


Just a little of Bug's shennanigans on the way - we call it a multiplicity moment!

Dad & Bug on the rock embankment



Jar & Me making our way down to the "beach"

Bug's favorite thing - shout and all -throwing rocks into the water!


Too tired to walk any farther - Jar has to carry Bug


Bug was also in charge of keeping us all hydrated - we would walk two benches and sit for a drink, but towards the end he was constantly drinking - I think he was hungry?

Often at the end he stopped and sat. He said, "I am wondering." It was so cute & hilarious at the same time it was frustrating. Eventually he started sitting on Dad's feet to "wonder", impeding the progress to the car.

The Sunset - taken with my dig point and shoot - not the Canon

The red moon - like I said, not very impressive via picture on the point-n-shoot.

2 comments:

1tiredmama said...

Looks like a fun little trip. Congrats on the pregnancy! I can't wait to hear if its a boy or girl.

Rainie said...

I'm so slow to keep up but I'm just getting back into this blog thing. Your family is darling, little looks just like big!!! (and another boy, congrats, how exciting!) We want to come east and visit our western friends.